A Cornerstone Teacher Learning Special Event
UPDATE: This course will be held on Zoom.
Cities of Vesuvius – Pompeii and Herculaneum
Dr Estelle Lazer brings Pompeii and Herculaneum to life in this 5-hour NESA endorsed professional learning course ‘Cities of Vesuvius – Pompeii and Herculaneum’. Drawing on three decades of work and research at Pompeii, Estelle will cover the events, sources, interpretations and issues around reconstruction, conservation and tourism at the cities of Vesuvius. As one of Australia’s most respected historians and educators, Estelle has led over a thousand NSW students and their teachers through Pompeii and Herculaneum.
$360 + GST
In the 5 hour NESA endorsed course, Cities of Vesuvius – Pompeii and Herculaneum teachers will learn about:
- The geography and natural features of Campania
- The eruption of AD 79 and its impact on Pompeii and Herculaneum
- Pompeii and Herculaneum over time: discoveries, excavations and representations
- Investigating and interpreting sources for Pompeii and Herculaneum
- A wealth of sources – what do they tell us?
- Economic and political life in Pompeii and Herculaneum
- The social structure, everyday life and religion
- Art and architecture
- Reconstructing and conserving the past
- How new research and technologies have challenged our interpretations
- Issues in conserving and reconstructing the past
- Ethical issues and tourism.
Dr Estelle Lazer is one of Australia’s most respected and popular historians. Her work on the bones at Pompeii brought her to international attention over 30 years ago and these days she bridges the world between classical archaeology and modern medical technology through the Pompeii Cast project. Estelle is one of Academy Travel’s most loved tour guides, having led over a thousand NSW Ancient History students and their teachers through Pompeii and Herculaneum.