Taking Another Look at Assessment – Cootamundra High School PL only
23/10/2019 - 28/01/2020
Cootamundra High School teachers can register here for the 8 hour NESA endorsed PL.
The PL will run over two days:
Day one: 23rd October 2:45pm -5:45pm
Day two: 28th January 9:00am – 3:00pm
About Taking Another Look at Assessment
The purpose of assessment is to accurately capture where students are in their learning at the time of assessment. This course will use the metaphor of the camera lens – a mid-shot, wide-angle and close-up – to help teachers develop, select and use appropriate assessment strategies to assess student learning. Developing our ability to ‘see’ the nature of progress and achievement is fundamental to understanding the next steps in the teaching and learning cycle. Taking Another Look at Assessmentwill build teachers capacity to understand the purpose of assessment, develop skills in designing more effective summative tasks and help develop a mindset for in-class formative assessment strategies and providing effective feedback.
In this EIGHT HOUR course, teachers will learn:
- The fundamental purpose of assessment as establishing where students are in their learning
- The differences between summative, formative and diagnostic assessment
- To design assessments that clearly and effectively show how well students have achieved outcomes, skills and knowledge
- To develop mindsets to account for the wide range of student ability in the typical Australian classroom
- To understand the importance of building assessment around outcomes for clarity
- About the wonderful world of achievement descriptors – and how to make them concrete in your classroom.
- How to capture the mid-shot in your day to day classroom activities
- How to use the wide-lens shot by developing an understanding of progressions and ‘I Can’ statements
- How to provide effective feedback strategies and in-class formative assessment practices that will bring clarity in your classroom.
Completing Taking Another Look at Assessment will contribute 8 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered PD addressing 5.1.2, 5.2.2, 5.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.