Taking Another Look at Assessment – Webinar
15/10/2021 @ 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM| $330
About Taking Another Look at Assessment
This course will be held as a webinar.
The purpose of assessment is to accurately capture where students are in their learning at the time of assessment. This course will use the metaphor of the camera lens – a mid-shot, wide-angle and close-up – to help teachers develop, select and use appropriate assessment strategies to assess student learning. Developing our ability to ‘see’ the nature of progress and achievement is fundamental to understanding the next steps in the teaching and learning cycle. Taking Another Look at Assessmentwill build teachers capacity to understand the purpose of assessment, develop skills in designing more effective summative tasks and help develop a mindset for in-class formative assessment strategies and providing effective feedback.
In this FIVE HOUR course, teachers will learn:
- The fundamental purpose of assessment as establishing where students are in their learning
- The differences between summative, formative and diagnostic assessment
- To design assessments that clearly and effectively show how well students have achieved outcomes, skills and knowledge
- To develop mindsets to account for the wide range of student ability in the typical Australian classroom
- To understand the importance of building assessment around outcomes for clarity
- About the wonderful world of achievement descriptors – and how to make them concrete in your classroom.
- How to capture the mid-shot in your day to day classroom activities
- How to use the wide-lens shot by developing an understanding of progressions and ‘I Can’ statements
- How to provide effective feedback strategies and in-class formative assessment practices that will bring clarity in your classroom.
Completing Taking Another Look at Assessment before 4 February 2022 under NESA’s interim arrangements will contribute 5 hours and 0 minutes of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of delivery and assessment of NSW Curriculum addressing standard descriptor 5.1.2, 5.2.2 and 5.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.